1. Entertainment
Daniel Kurtzman

Jon Stewart's Oscar Jokes

By February 25, 2008

Jon Stewart at the Oscars Jon Stewart worked a little political humor into his opening monologue at the Academy Awards. Here's a rundown of Stewart's political zingers from Oscar night:

"Julie Christie was absolutely amazing in Away From Her. Brilliant movie. It was the moving story of a woman who forgets her own husband. Hillary Clinton calls it the feel good movie of the year."

"Not all films did as well as Juno obviously. The films that were made about the Iraq war, let's face it, did not do as well. But I'm telling you, if we stay the course and keep these movies in the theatres we can turn this around. I don't care if it takes 100 years. Withdrawing the Iraq movies would only embolden the audience. We cannot let the audience win."

"Oscar is 80 this year, which makes him now automatically the frontrunner for the Republican nomination."

"You have to admit, this is a huge election. An historic election. So much excitement. For the first time in so many years we don't have an incumbent president or an incumbent vice-president. The field is wide open. Have you all had a chance to examine all the candidates, study their positions and pick the Democrat you'll vote for?"

"Democrats do have an historic race going. Hillary Clinton vs Barack Obama. Normally, when you see a black man or a woman president an asteroid is about to hit the Statue of Liberty. How will we know it's the future? Silver unitards, that can't be all?"

"You have to give Barack Obama credit, he's overcome a great deal. Not just he's an African-American. Barack Hussein Obama is his name. His middle name is the last name of Iraq's former tyrant. His last name rhymes with Osama. That's not easy to overcome. I think we all remember the ill-fated 1944 presidential campaign of Gaydolf Titler. It's just a shame, Titler had so many good ideas. We just couldn't get past the name. And the moustache."

Watch the video clip

Related:
Jon Stewart Quotes
Late-Night Jokes
Daily Show Videos
2008 Election Humor
Complete Oscar Coverage

(Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Comments

February 25, 2008 at 12:52 pm
(1) dkosak says:

John Stewart’s humor was the best part of the show…and you picked out my favorite lines from the show!

February 25, 2008 at 2:19 pm
(2) GonzoH says:

I loved his riff on Hollywood’s “dark” films: “Does this town need a hug?” …but overall, I felt he was underused. Plus, he mentioned on the Daily Show that they make him sit in a little room by himself and watch everything on a screen! If true…that’s just wrong.

February 25, 2008 at 7:06 pm
(3) stephen says:

His jokes about Obama was undeniably ill minded. He should have never compared bin laden, saddam hussein to Barack. We are about to have elections. What nonsense did he speak. It shows that he is a Hillary supporter. I watch the daily show without missing a day but now I decided to comletely not watch this racial minded Jon stewart. Shame on you. Ellen Degeneres would have done a good job….

February 25, 2008 at 7:43 pm
(4) Que Cee says:

I completely agree with stephen. But I am more angry at Jon bringing up the painful memory of Gaydolf Titler. Ellen would have never brought up Gaydolf. I’m sure there are countless Americans ready to vote for Barak but JUST now, because of Jon, realized the similarity to Osama as well as his middle name Hussein, and decided to vote for Hillary. Shame on you Jon for noticing this very subtle connection. I am never going to watch The Daily Show and only watch stephen’s show, The Colbert Report.

February 26, 2008 at 1:05 am
(5) goldenstate says:

It’s a good thing Jon Stewart brought up Obama’s full name because Republicans would have brought it up in November. A lot of people don’t know what his middle name is so this is a good thing. Democrats can decide now whether they care or not.

February 26, 2008 at 1:54 am
(6) Denise says:

Que Cee-
Thank you for pointing out what an idiot Stephen is (so i didn’t have to) hahaha i’m still laughing.
-Denise

February 26, 2008 at 8:05 am
(7) Descant says:

Hey I only watched the show because Stewart hosted it.
And the baby goes to… Angelina Jolie!
lol

February 26, 2008 at 8:49 am
(8) JJ says:

Yes, thank you oh-kind-previous-posters for pointing out that JUST now, only now, and all because of Jon, Americans realize that Obama’s name sounds like Osama. Oh my, what a subtle connection he highlighted . . . DUH! Are Americans really that dense that we didn’t notice this before?

And why does it matter that Obama’s middle name is Hussein? My middle name is Lexluthor. Does my name make people believe I’m out to destroy the world? If Obama’s middle name were Apple, or Suri, or Tiddlywinks, would that make him a different person? Give me a break – it’s just a name.

February 26, 2008 at 10:58 am
(9) Methos says:

Hey J. Lexluthor J.

YES! At the very least, I’m going to seek a retraining order against you. You will be required to stay at least 1000 feet away from Clark Kent and Lois Lane at all times, and will also be prohibited from possessing Kryptonite. We can never be too careful in these dangerous times, you might be related to you-know-who.

- Superman’s lawyer

February 26, 2008 at 11:07 am
(10) Methos says:

After perusing my law books, I believe that I shall file a restraining order instead. Only the Chinese government could file a retraining order against you.

- Superman’s lawyer

February 26, 2008 at 12:08 pm
(11) oogambo says:

hey stephen – u REALLY need 2 lighten up – or maybe u r barak hussein obamamamamama himself just posting as “stephen” – YES U CAN!

February 28, 2008 at 4:24 pm
(12) MIKEY says:

Actually, I though AteOff Titler got a bum wrap (if you know what I mean)
PS. 71:13