The late-night comedians have been cracking jokes all week about the beer summit President Obama is hosting to try and cool the tensions between Henry Louis Gates and his arresting officer, Sgt. James Crowley. A sampling:
"He invited the professor and the cop to come to the White House on Thursday for beer. Alcohol usually cools things off. Have you noticed that? That's where you want to go." --David Letterman
""Big kegger at the White House tomorrow. It's going to be a crazy night. There will be karaoke with Tim Geithner. ... I believe it's the first White House kegger, really, since the Bush twins lived there." --David Letterman
"If it works out, Obama's going to have Ahmadinejad and Netanyahu over for Jaegerbombs." --Conan O'Brien
"If it goes well, then President Obama is going to invite Governor and Mrs. Sanford to come up and have a beer." --David Letterman
"Of course, this could be trouble, because the last time Obama got a few beers in him, he bought General Motors." --Conan O'Brien
Read more late-night jokes…
Letterman's Top Ten Things Overheard At The White House Beer Summit
10. "Don't worry, Biden will clean up the empties"
9. "Guys stop me if I try to drunk dial Nancy Pelosi"
8. "Smoking, drinking. Suddenly our president is Artie Lange"
7. "Let's call Limbaugh and take this party to the next level"
6. "I feel dizzy and confused — just like Bush! Hi-yoo!"
5. "I don't want to freak anybody out, but I just saw Nixon walking down the hall"
4. "Tell Geithner to put his shirt on"
3. "Sen. Larry Craig asked if he could have his beer brought to the men's room"
2. "You guys wanna see where Clinton used to get freaky?"
1. "Excuse me while I take a presidential leak"
White House Beer Summit Cartoons
Bill Maher Ad Parody: Gates Home Security
The Daily Show's Coverage of Henry Louis-Gate
Colbert on Obama's 'Teachable Moment'
Get Political Humor on Facebook and Twitter