1. Entertainment
Daniel Kurtzman

Tina Fey Skewers Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live

By September 14, 2008

Tina Fey Plays Sarah Palin on SNL Tina Fey made a much-anticipated return to Saturday Night Live to play her lookalike, Sarah Palin, and the result was pure comedy genius. (Watch video clip).

Standing alongside Hillary Clinton impersonator Amy Poehler, the two slung barbs that took aim at Palin's lack of experience, Clinton's bitterness over Palin's ascendance, and the media's fawning coverage of Palin.

A few highlights:

• As Poehler's Clinton bragged about her foreign policy experience, Fey's Alaskan governor exclaimed: "I can see Russia from my house!"

• When Poehler said she disagreed with the Bush Doctrine, Fey acknowledged, "I don't know what that means."

• As Fey declared it's time for a woman in the White House, Poehler exclaimed, "No. Mine! It's supposed to be mine! I need to say something. I didn't want a woman to be President. I wanted to be President and I just happen to be a woman."

• Poehler wrapped up the sketch with a dig at the media, saying it's never sexist to question a female politicians' credentials. "In conclusion, I invite the media to grow a pair. And if you can't, I will lend you mine."

Watch the video and read the full transcript below:

FEY AS PALIN: "Good evening, my fellow Americans. I was so excited when I was told Senator Clinton and I would be addressing you tonight."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "And I was told I would be addressing you alone."

FEY AS PALIN: "Now I know it must be a little bit strange for all of you to see the two of us together. What with me being John McCain's running mate."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "And me being a fervent supporter of Senator Barack Obama -- as evidenced by this button."

FEY AS PALIN: "But tonight we are crossing party lines to address the now very ugly role that sexism is playing in the campaign."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "An issue which I am frankly surprised to hear people suddenly care about."

FEY AS PALIN: "You know, Hillary and I don't agree on everything..."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: (OVERLAPPING) "Anything. I believe that diplomacy should be the cornerstone of any foreign policy."

FEY AS PALIN: "And I can see Russia from my house."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "I believe global warming is caused by man."

FEY AS PALIN: "And I believe it's just God hugging us closer."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "I don't agree with the Bush Doctrine."

FEY AS PALIN: "I don't know what that is."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "But Sarah, one thing we can agree on is that sexism can never be allowed to permeate an American election."

FEY AS PALIN: "So please, stop photoshopping my head on sexy bikini pictures."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "And stop saying I have cankles."

FEY AS PALIN: "Don't refer to me as a 'MILF.'"

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "And don't refer to me as a [flurge]. I Googled what it stands for and I do not like it."

FEY AS PALIN: "So we ask reporters and commentators, stop using words that diminish us, like 'pretty,' 'attractive,' 'beautiful.'"

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "'Harpy,' 'shrew' and 'boner shrinker.'"

FEY AS PALIN: "While our politics may differ, my friend and I are both very tough ladies. You know it reminds me of a joke we tell in Alaska..."What's the difference...

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "Lipstick."

FEY AS PALIN: "...between a hockey mom..."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "Lipstick."

FEY AS PALIN: "...and a pitbull?"

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "Lipstick."

FEY AS PALIN(AFTER A BEAT): "Lipstick. Just look at how far we've come. Hillary Clinton, who came so close to the White House. And me, Sarah Palin, who is even closer. Can you believe it, Hillary?"

POEHLER AS CLINTON: (AFTER A PAUSE)"I can not."

FEY AS PALIN: "It's truly amazing and I think women everywhere can agree, that no matter your politics, it's time for a woman to make it to the White House."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "No. Mine! It's supposed to be mine! I need to say something. I didn't want a woman to be President. I wanted to be President and I just happen to be a woman. And I don't want to hear you compare your road to the White House to my road to the White House. I scratched and clawed through mud and barbed wire and you just glided in on a dog sled wearing your pageant sash and your Tina Fey glasses."

FEY AS PALIN: "What an amazing time we live in. To think that just two years ago, I was a small town mayor of Alaska's crystal meth capitol. And now I am just one heartbeat away from being President of the United States. It just goes to show that anyone can be President."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "Anyone."

FEY AS PALIN: "All you have to do is want it."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: (LAUGHS) "Yeah, you know, Sarah, looking back, if I could change one thing, I should have wanted it more." (RIPS OFF PIECE OF PODIUM)

FEY AS PALIN: "So in the next six weeks, I invite the media to be vigilant for sexist behavior."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "Although it is never sexist to question female politicians' credentials. Please ask this one about dinosaurs. So I invite the media to grow a pair. And if you can't, I will lend you mine."

FEY AS PALIN: And as we say in Alaska...

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "We say it everywhere..."

FEY/POEHLER: "Live from New York, It's Saturday Night!!!

Watch the video clip.

Related:
SNL Videos
Sarah Palin Videos
Late-Night Jokes

Comments

September 14, 2008 at 5:22 pm
(1) Bob Waters says:

Impressed me more as a hatchet job on Palin than as comic genius… especially since being able to see Russia from her house is more foreign policy experience than Hillary has.

Unless you count hosting teas for the wives of visiting heads of state.

And in a year in which the Democratic candidate for President is a briefly-serving senator with an attendance record nearly as bad in the U.S. Senate as it was in the Illinois Senate, hitting a serving governor on the experience issue seems to be considerably less than genius, comic or otherwise!

September 14, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(2) Justin says:

Mr Waters – I am presuming you are an adult. In which case, are you really saying, seriously, that you think it is reasonable that anyone could point to Alaska’s physical proximity to Siberia as evidence of Palin’s foreign policy experience? That you don’t think that it the most laughable, puerile thing you have ever heard?

And, putting aside your obvious lack of a sense of humor, do I have it right that you see this as a “hatchet” job on Palin, but not also on Clinton??

September 14, 2008 at 6:00 pm
(3) politicalhumor says:

Jon Stewart said it best: “When you think about it, Alaska is also near the North Pole, so she must also be friends with Santa.”

September 15, 2008 at 4:05 pm
(4) Dave says:

“So will Fey, who stars in NBC’s weekly prime-time comedy “30 Rock,” return to play Palin again?

“We are taking it day-by-day,” said “SNL” spokesman Marc Liepis on Monday.”

Meaning it doesn’t depend on whether it’s funny, but whether it helps Obama in the polls! And Justin, has SNL made fun of someone on the Democratic ticket yet?

September 16, 2008 at 10:00 am
(5) JN says:

Eh, any “imbalance” in making fun of each of the two presidential tickets is more likely to be caused by the mountain of blunders and whacko features which has (sadly) become part of “being Republican.”

The Republicans started out being “just” so power hungry that they gave us Bush-Cheney and have continued so far on this track out of desperation that they now give us Mc Cain – Palin. No normal person (or SANE former Republican) can miss the historic (almost biblical, hee-hee) “humor.”

September 17, 2008 at 11:04 pm
(6) Realist says:

“the media’s fawning coverage of Palin”? Are you nuts?! The media have been so apoplectically anti-Palin that they’ve single-handedly sunk Obama/Biden by disgusting average Americans with their elitism and condescention. Don’t take my word for it, just look at the polls. When asked if the media is fair to Palin a significant majority say no. No candidate has had so many outright lies spread about her by the media as Palin. Again, don’t take my word for it, just check out Factcheck.org. And for the record, I both support Palin (I liked her before McCain picked her and I’m not Alaskan) and love Tina Fey’s impersonation. It was funny, what can I say?

September 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm
(7) mike says:

“The big news story today is Sarah Palin. Every day, Sarah Palin. And it is not exactly hard-hitting stuff. I haven’t seen the media fawn over a celebrity this much since — Barack Obama.” –Craig Ferguson

September 19, 2008 at 1:17 am
(8) DIane Bush says:

I cannot tell the two apart.

The voice, accent and chin “thing” were incredible.

I now think Tina Fey is a god.
Or Goddess?

September 28, 2008 at 6:04 am
(9) cig says:

Wake up America! How u vote and what u decide affects the world. NO to having someone so, so, so incompetent, so uninterested in the world, so dangerous my and your future. I can’t see Russia from my house, and I truly doubt she can, either. There’s a lie told to the whole world…

September 30, 2008 at 9:15 pm
(10) Cheryl says:

Talk about dirt in politics…this gives dirt a whole new meaning. They should not keeping playing that rediculous crap of Tina Fey. Shes the kind of money grabbing human that gives women a bad name. That crap is an INSULT OF THE FEMALE gender. Making money off this kind of crap! I think someone should PORTRAY Obamma as a Little Racals “BUCKWEAT” CHARACTER way back when and then “Tina” & “Buckwheat” will be more on equal grounds. “Tina vs Buckwheat”. You saw it first here!!!

October 6, 2008 at 1:36 pm
(11) Geoff says:

hey uh realist..
i wouldn’t say the media’s suck obama/biden, when they’re ahead in almost evey poll by anywhere from 4-11 percentage points

October 13, 2008 at 1:22 am
(12) The Sane One? says:

Cherly, I beg of you, please stop. You’re giving us women a bad name. As a (female) independent who tries the pros and cons of each candidate, I thought that this was hilarious. I find your neofeminist extremism and flagrant racism to be offensive and would like to request an apology. Oh, and to weigh in on the press, I have found that in most cases, when Palin is praised it is in a condescending and repulsive way. I see nothing wrong with ignoring her gender and examining her the same way as any other candidate. In fact I am more offended by the refusal of the press to treat her as an equal than by her massive under qualifications to be vp, much less president. Just my two cents

September 22, 2013 at 3:47 am
(13) crimper says:

It’s hilarious readying these comments 5 years later.

Haters still hating, racist scum still scummy.

Same as it ever was…