1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Daniel Kurtzman

Jon Stewart's Epic Glenn Beck Parody

By March 19, 2010

Jon Stewart Glenn Beck Parody In one of the greatest Daily Show segments of all time, Jon Stewart dedicated half of last night's show to an elaborate send-up of Glenn Beck, imitating the FOX News host's unhinged mannerisms and warped logic in brilliant fashion.

Using props such as Beck's trademark chalkboard as he conjured a series of ridiculous conspiracy theories, Stewart achieved the near-impossible: out-crazying Glenn Beck.

Stewart began with a clip of Beck ranting against progressivism, calling progressives a "cancer in America" that are "destroying our Constitution" and who "want to control every aspect of your life."

Picking up on that theme, Stewart said, "I didn't know that's what I wanted, but I guess I want to control every aspect of your life. As a progressive I might say I think it's a good idea for an agency to monitor pollution. But I guess what I really mean is it's in the state's interest that we be allowed to put a chip in your head that tells you when you can masturbate."

"Total control," Stewart said. "In my America, nobody tells people when they can masturbate!"

The rest of the segment followed similar Beckian logic.

"I'm not saying that believing there should be a minimum standard for how much lead is in our paint might lead to the government having the right to sterilize and kill Jews. I'm not saying that that might be the case. I'm saying that's the case."

Stewart also channeled Beck's recent fear-mongering about China:

"It turns out that progressives advocating for government regulations on toxins in water and our children's toys turns us into China! The very country that has been putting toxins in water and our children's toys. It's so ingenious it almost -- It's so ingenious it almost doesn't make any sense whatsoever."

Stewart eventually deciphered a secret code that uncovered the ultimate conspiracy: Bert, from Sesame Street, is actually Hitler.

"I'm sorry. I promised myself that I would cry," Stewart said at the end, as he tried to force the tears to come.

It was the second time Stewart has channeled Glenn Beck. Earlier this year, Stewart warned about the coming war in American for Beck's internal organs.

Watch the video of Jon Stewart's epic Glenn Beck impression.

Update: Reacting to the Daily Show segment, Glenn Beck said it was "hysterical," but insisted Stewart "continues to get it wrong."

Related:
Glenn Beck Conspiracy Theory Generator
Top 10 Craziest Glenn Beck Quotes
Latest Late-Night Jokes

Comments

March 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm
(1) Jake says:

Absolutely brilliant! Jon Stewart For The Win!

March 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm
(2) reallyrogue says:

Jon Stewart: Brilliant and hysterical (Definition: Wildly funny.) Glenn Beck: Stupid and hysterical (Definition: Affected with emotional disorder.) People who actually believe Glenn Beck has anything sane or coherent to say: Dimwits.

March 20, 2010 at 3:08 am
(3) chris says:

This is why when I’m having a really good day I’ll watch a few minutes of Beck just to bring me back down to crazy.

March 20, 2010 at 6:49 am
(4) JamesD says:

Beck is one of the few voices in the media exposing the insidious things going on in DC and you guys are lemmings heading off the cliff as you scoff at him.

March 20, 2010 at 8:58 am
(5) Bryan says:

You are all probably fans of The View Show too. Like sheep to slaughter.

March 20, 2010 at 10:37 am
(6) Jennifer says:

Hey James. Is your crazy contagious?

March 20, 2010 at 11:31 am
(7) Jon S. says:

I cannot believe a guy like Glenn Beck is allowed broadcast time. But again, US TV networks are such a joke, throwing tidal waves of propaganda and trash at ppl, they need a few handy agents for the job. The trash that comes with this idiot is phenomenal, probably an innate talent!

March 20, 2010 at 11:32 am
(8) tim says:

Interesting that the people who confine themselves to news outlets that only tell them what they want to hear would accuse others of being lemmings. You guys are isolating yourselves in a cocoon of ignorance that is driving your party into extremist territory. This socialism/death panels/birther stuff has got to stop for the sake of the country. There’s plenty to criticize about the Democrats without needing to resort to these hysterical fictions.

March 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm
(9) notreally says:

This bit essentially boils down to Stewart doing a 3rd grade satire: “this is you Beck, ‘duh duh i’m Glen Beck I think seatbelts are bad hurr durr”. Only in the realm of Dane Cook does one see a harder sell for a joke.

Beck is a histrionic, but what he says is essentially correct. The general trend in American politics in the 20th century has been to give the state powers which exceed its constitutional mandate (See Wickard v. Filburn for a really egregious example) some of these interventions are well intentioned and comparatively minor, but even small regulations may have dozens of unintended consequences. Great oaks from little acorns grow.

A very overacted “oh, come-on!” does not a counterargument make. Also, don’t mistake being entertained for being informed.

March 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm
(10) yareally says:

I my opinion Stewart did a fantastic job of eviscerating Beck’s nonsensical logic and parodying his ridiculous mannerism.

Moreover, where are you people when “conservatives” are in power? The greatest combined government expansion, overreach of authority and power, and most egregious resorting to opaqueness and secrecy in our entire history came during the Bush administration.

March 20, 2010 at 11:08 pm
(11) Jennifer says:

Let me explain something to people who think Glenn Beck is “Correct” Nazism and Communism are polar opposites. There is no such thing as a Nazi Communist. Obama can’t be Hitler AND Stalin. In fact the Nazis tried to wipe out all Communists in Germany. This just shows the world how bad our American education system and how entirely stupid people are who think Glenn Beck is right. Open a book – read. You might actually learn something.

BTW – Jon Stewart is brilliant.

March 21, 2010 at 3:08 am
(12) dr.pepper says:

There is no point talking or explaining anything to a person who thinks Beck is right… period… – those people are missing some chromosomes

March 21, 2010 at 3:50 am
(13) Scorched Earth says:

Normally I get a kick out of Liebowitz but I thought that one was kind of labored and went on for about 10 min too long. Even the audience seemed to only be laughing nervously. Maybe they warmed up to it and maybe it got better but I switched over to Beck to see if the satire was apt and ended up watching him instead. (checks the ratings) MY GOD! Seems I wasn’t alone.

March 21, 2010 at 4:43 am
(14) FloridaPete says:

Love the Glenn Beck Conspiracy Theory Generator. Hilarious!

March 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm
(15) dee says:

Glenn Beck needs to shut his g’din mouth. Well, I would literally enforce that if it weren’t for the 1st amendment. Point is, Beck entertains me because any crazy or sane person can see he has a serious problem that requires meds. John Stewart is extremely informative.
I don’t like O’reilly either – but I have to agree with Stewart: “he is the only voice of reason on that whole network.” He may be its only redeeming quality – and that is sad to say the least. But I do flip them on from time to time to see what they have to say and get the opinions from the other side. Most of what I get is all puffery and conspiracy theories. I just have to laugh.

March 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(16) Guy says:

“Scorched Earth” – So ratings = fact? Hows that rock that you’ve been living under keeping your fox news comfy close and those scary evil liberals away. Although, it would be a progressive thought to get away from that rock. MY GOD! Its everywhere!

March 22, 2010 at 2:20 am
(17) Scorched Earth says:

“Guy”- I never said ratings equaled facts. What I did was report my experience and note that Glenn Beck often has as many as 8x the viewing audience. And this, while obviously not granting any automatic truth to what he says, speaks reams as to the efficacy of his message.

I am not a huge Beck fan. I think he is usually over the top, fumbles his points on live tv, and much of his message is lost in awkward humor and showmanship.

March 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm
(18) Scorched Earth says:

*TUMBLEWEED*

March 22, 2010 at 9:28 pm
(19) Scorched Earth says:

Come on now, “Guy”. Nothing substantive to say? Just a trite insult about living under a rock? How predictable.

March 24, 2010 at 1:51 am
(20) Bob says:

So basically, there are 8 times as many retards that watch Glenn Beck as there are intelligent people that watch the Daily Show. No wonder this country is in such a s**t hole, with you retards hanging around. Never underestimate stupid people in large numbers.

March 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm
(21) Lauren says:

Scorched Earth – No, it speaks reams to efficacy of his megaphone. FOX News is a much larger network than Comedy Central is.

Either way, a message can be both effective and illogical (or outright wrong) at the same time. e_e

March 27, 2010 at 12:35 am
(22) Scorched Earth says:

People have an option to watch or not. And there are way more people in our (18-35) bracket than Beck’s.

I enjoy both programs and I think both guys have their strengths and weaknesses. My initial critique of this article was probably much like Stewart and Beck lost in satire so who am I to criticize, right? But believe it or not they both play the same role as political entertainers. And the same important role as a voice with a megaphone holding our elected representatives accountable.

Why don’t you guys point out some real ideas of Beck’s you disagree with instead of calling me a retard. Why doesn’t Stewart do that too instead of hanging glasses off his show and wasting half his show with no real joke. On a regular weekly basis there are more witty pieces than this on the Daily Show. I was really only moved to comment because there were like 20 blog entries lauding this as the more genius Daily Show bit ever… which it is not. They all pointed to the same three features: THe glasses, chalk board, and gestures…. but couldn’t put their finger on anything he said….

March 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm
(23) someguy says:

An excellent parody of the illogical fear-mongering perpetuated by Glenn Beck. I’ve never liked Beck, from the time he was on CNN I could tell he was an idiot. The problem is that even if he had a relevant point, the ridiculous tactics he uses to represent his points, coupled with his seemingly unstable emotional state, cheapen his argument to the point where even independent voters, such as myself, write him off as a crackpot. The only people who would take Beck seriously are idiots or those that already see the world from his point of view.

March 30, 2010 at 6:51 pm
(24) Scorched Earth says:

Same can be said of any political entertainer whose politics you don’t happen to agree with. Look at Olberman.

At least you tried to make a point here before you fell back on name calling. But, yeah. Muddying his points with stabs at humor…. Stewart definitely is guilty of that, too.

March 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm
(25) silus dogood says:

jenniffer needs to go to school,no scratch that,she learned all this stupidity in a liberal teaching public school and that is why she is like a sheep led to slaughter.
if they werent ruining the country,i would allmost feel sorry for these left wing uninformed fools.

March 30, 2010 at 11:40 pm
(26) LAW says:

If you get your new from Jon Stewart or Glenn Beck, then you are probably an idiot.

April 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm
(27) Nuitari says:

I think the most poignant part of Stewart’s message seems to be that Beck time and again makes the false assertion that if you hold one idea from an ideology, you automatically take on the entire ideology with all of it’s negatives. And he counter exampled Beck’s fear-mongering that any liberal who thinks that any programs that have some socialist policies want to turn us into USSR with the idea that anyone who thinks that religion offers a good moral base for a country wants to turn us into a theocracy like Saudi Arabia.

April 13, 2010 at 6:58 pm
(28) Sigh says:

Has anybody here who’s criticizing Glenn Beck actually seen his show? And if you have, did you actually listen to what he said?

Yes, he beats around the bush and doesn’t vary too terribly much from week to week, but 9 times out of 10, what he says is completely logical, and therefore makes complete sense.

“Pretend the government is like your home. You are in debt. What are your options?
a) Reduce spending (cut programs)
b) Increase revenue, ie get another job (increase taxes)”

In the case of the government, you can also print money.

These are all things Glenn Beck says. Most of the time he doesn’t take the partisan approach by saying “pick this one, that one’s the better choice”. On the contrary, he leaves that to the viewer most of the time, and just points out what our options are, and what is actually happening.

In the episode where he discussed this topic, for example, he showed us some figures showing how we are increasing taxes and printing more money, but we are also INCREASING spending, thus reducing/negating the benefits (and whole point) of increasing taxes and printing money in the first place!

ie you don’t get out of debt by getting an extra job and then spending that extra money on a new car.

Agree or disagree with him, get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

“It’s better to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.”

April 14, 2010 at 11:49 am
(29) groan says:

Just because 9 out of 10 times you purport his rants are logical does not give him a free pass to go stark raving mad the rest of the time. If he is a working man 52 weeks out of the year, I don’t want 5 weeks worth of lunacy, such as his

“I beg you, look for the words ’social justice’ or ‘economic justice’ on your church Web site,” he said.

“If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes!” He went on to say, “If you have a priest pushing social justice go find another parish. Go alert your bishop and tell them. [Ask them] are you down with this whole social justice thing?”

Social justice, as it is, permeates many religious text from the Bible to even Beck’s Book of Mormon. Maybe he should re-read his scripture text to get a better grasp of his own faith’s teachings.

January 11, 2011 at 1:35 am
(30) Bonnie Macri says:

Any one who has worked in a drug treatment facility recognizes that both Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh have drug induced psychosis. It is a disgrace that they are allowed to rave on our air waves and are given any attention other than being put in a hosptal for treatment I feel very sorry for both of them and the stations and people who make money from them should be arrested for abuse of them and the public.